I continue to appreciate the great creative coming from the folks at Ebiquity in their TV ad campaign for Discover Card’s Late Payment Forgiveness. Using the concept of “we treat you like you treat you,” we see various individuals who, like anyone reading this, failed to get a credit card payment off in time to post by the due date. As an alternative to the irritating practice with most credit cards who charge a late fee, raise your APR, and lower your limits, Discover offers forgiveness if you use their “It” card.
What makes this enjoyable to me is the way it’s done, with the customer service person who looks, sounds and talks just like the customer calling in. Here’s an example:
There’s so many messages going on here:
- First, wouldn’t any one of us prefer talking with a customer service representative who is just like us, who gets us? Duh.
- Secondly, forgiveness for being a human and making a mistake is always in good taste. We’ve all been on the wrong end of bad customer service.
- Thirdly, these ads are always good for a laugh.
- Fourthly, it’s easy to recall these ads and what they’re about – awareness of Discover Card’s new “It” card.
- Lastly, there is unlimited variations that could be used, keeping the campaign fresh and new for a longer period of time.
As I have said on many occasions, good, solid creative can make the difference in an ad campaign’s success and long-term viability. Good marketing will always win out.
Can you think of other ad campaigns that you’ve enjoyed?
I’d love to hear,